What to do with corks....

Ever wonder where the corks come from? Evidentally there is a cork tree! Yes, it's called the Cork Oak and harvesting the bark (cork) doesn't harm the tree! Weird, right? I don't want this to be a lesson on the Quercus suber (it's technical name), so if you want to learn more, check out the Wikipedia page here.
So what do you do with all the corks you have been saving over the years? 
If you are anything like me, you save wine and champagne corks in hopes a project will present itself worthy of your sinful collection. At the moment I hold all my corks in flower vases, which in and of itself is a pleasant display, but I am always on the look out for the perfect or most interesting way to display the corks. I still haven't found the ONE thing I want to permanently do with my cork collection and more than likely won't finally decide until I have a home of my own, but here are the most intriguing ways to recycle/re-use/decorate with used corks that I found.
Of course there are the extreme projects which take 3,000-20,000 corks like building a chair, decorating a car, covering an entire wall, making a jacket....but who is actually going to do that?
Instead of the utterly ridicules, here are my top choices for how to recycle/display your wine corks...



Rather than covering an entire wall, use the corks as a backsplash in your Tuscan/Wine themed kitchen. Finish your theme with a custom mural of grape vines or a vineyard scene!





Another option steaming from the wall of corks is taking it to your baseboards. This will be a subtle hidden addition to your room that is surprisingly very appealing!



Possibly my favorite project so far is the bath mat! By cutting the corks in half and gluing them together, you can instantly turn your boring bathroom into a high class spa in no time!





Remember those bead curtains you loved so much in high school? You can take the idea to the next level with your used wine corks! The cork curtain may not fit in everyone's home decor, but if you are a free spirit, have some time on your hands and want to really display your love of wine, this may be the project for you! 







The ever popular cork board, need I say more?




Taking the cork board to another level, use it as a backboard for your darts....







Or take it to a smaller scale and make coasters. If you are like me, you could make a set of 4 for 20 of your closest friends for the holidays! ;)





Also on the holiday note, make a wreath for yourself or as a gift for a wine lover in your life. These actually turn out looking way more classy than you would think!







If you can construct this cute little birdhouse, it will make your bird friends very happy.



If you are artsy, I am sure you will be itching to create your own cork mosiac like this one on the right. The possibilities are really endless!




A quick and easy project for those a little less creatively inclined is a keychain! You can find the keyhole rings at your local hardware store and screw them into the end of the corks.



A cork stamp lasts longer then potatoes and can come in handy around the house, especially when you have kids.





A lovely name card display ideal for a wedding reception which I plan on using for my own vineyard wedding someday! LOL


Cork jewelry! Make it for yourself or make it to sell it! You could make a profit from drinking, which will only make you want to drink more! (Like you need a reason, right?)





Cover your outside table for a unique conversation piece. I think this is such an adorable idea!








For those techy people with a flair for DIY projects, cut a cork and fit in a USB thumbdrive! I sooo wanna do this! ;)







I am not entirely sure what use this ball could have, but I think it looked cool! Perhaps you could tie fishing wire and hang it from the ceiling for a cool eclectic room!




A fun project to do with the kids, while of course not condoning drinking, but you can really make a plethora of characters for the holiday tree. I've seen reindeer's, angels, santa's and others on the web






So there you have it, my top picks for how to recycle/display wine corks. What will you choose to create with the corks you have so diligently been collecting? Let me know your favorites and other ideas you have come up with!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Me ha gustado mucho este tutorial!Como buena catalana consumimos bastante cava y me ha dado muy buenas ideas para hacer con mis alumnos. Le enviaré fotos si quiere de los resultados.
También colecciono placas de cava. Muchas gracias por estas ideas!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment