Malibu Family Wines: Tasting Room


Saddlerock Cab Sav still ranks up in my top 10 fav all time wines and recently I have spent quite a lot of time up in the Malibu mountains in/around the origins of this fine (newer) wine. A couple weekend ago I visited the ranch, I went to a tasting room less then a mile from the ranch (different wine maker) and yesterday I layed on the well kept grass of the picnic area owned by the Semler Family and known as the Malibu Family Wines tasting room.

This past weekend I enjoyed a lovely (crowded) Sunday afternoon on the lawn of the Malibu Family Wines picnic area. I somehow always end up here when least prepared! I know it gets ridiculasly crowded on the weekends, but coming unprepared seems to enhance the experience. As if I am on the outside looking in on all the families that brought their own chairs, blankets, food, games...I love to people watch and this is a nice change to the beach (just down the street) to do so without getting sand...EVERYWHERE!




There is no fee to enter the gorgeous haven of wine lovers and they encourage you to bring your own spread (which I will someday do), however, making friends with those who DID come prepared is nice too! After brunch and a flight of wines at SIP just north of Malibu Family Wine tasting room, we rolled up around 2pm or so. Parking was difficult to find, but not impossible. We grabbed a shaddy spot of grass toward the back of the lot near the horshoe pits and made friends with a group of females who had cheese, salami, crackers, chips, home made brownies, caprise salad, etc! Lucky for my always hungry friend, they shared.


Live music was a nice touch as well, but with the talent in this area I was surprised at the entertainment they had on Sunday- 2 guitar playing guys who tried to play popular songs in a more mellow fashion but just not hitting the right notes. It was painful at times to listen but I am sure not many noticed as it was not a main event, just background noise.


I will be back in the future and I would recommend to come early and prepared to spend the afternoon. The wine itself is just okay. The chardonay we had a bottle of was a little blan but for a hot afternoon we didn't want to drink a heavy cab, which happens to be one of our all time favs. We wanted to give something else a chance to stand out and while it didnt, we still had a great time. I do prefer the Saddlerock wines to the (more expensive) Semler label they offer. The Saddlerock wines come from grapes grown in Central Cali while the Semler is locally grown malibu grapes. A little misleading if you ask me since the large rock at the ranch in Malibu is known as "saddle rock"...

0 comments:

Post a Comment